When do I need an electrical inspection? 

For rental properties an inspection is recommended every 5 years or at each change of tenancy, which ever comes first. 
For a residential property that you live in yourself it is recommended every 10 years 
For a business premises an inspection is required every 5 years 
The landlords and Tenant act 1985 states that a landlord must keep a property with a short lease in good electrical condition, regular inspection help to achieve this 
Properties with a swimming pool are recommended to have inspections every year 
A caravan should be tested every 3 years 

Do you do emergency 24 Hour call outs?   

We try to respond to emergency calls during business hours 8am - 5pm 
We do not respond to emergency calls outside of these hours without previously agreeing this service to regular customers 

Are you Part P registered?  

Part P is simply a section of the building regulations, completing a part P course requires very basic knowledge of domestic installations and the process of registering work completed with building control. NICEIC registered electricians are City and Guild Qualified and hold additional qualifications for testing and inspecting, they learn the mathematical theory behind electricity, they learn the factors that can effect resistance and current carrying capacity of conductors, study the regulations and the tables for selecting cables and equipment in different environments, this knowledge is then used when designing an installation and ensures you get an installation suitable for your needs that will stand the test of time. NICEIC electricians register all installations through the NICEIC website when they create a certificate, this covers the Part P regulation, to summarise; you should be asking if your electrician is NICEIC registered not whether they are Part P 

Is Portable appliance testing (PAT) a legal requirement?  

The testing is not a legal requirement, it is a requirement of various licensing bodies and insurers, Pubs, Schools and public places all have portable appliance testing as it is a requirement to meet safety standards. Many domestic landlords are now having appliances they provide (washing machines, dishwashers, fridges etc) tested.  
A landlord is not required to do this by law, but insurance providers or managing agents may insist. The testing is a way of covering everyone if the worst should happen, If the landlord can show they have made every effort to provide a safe environment they are less likely to be found liable for any injury. 

What is included in an emergency lighting test? 

Emergency lighting should have an appropriate test facility, the lighting should light exits and any safety equipment that may be required in an emergency, additional lighting may be required if inadequate lighting is provided for exit routes when all other lighting is out. The lighting should be tested quarterly, 3 functional checks and 1 duration check a year is the usual frequency, a functional check simply checks they are on if the power fails, a duration check takes up to 3 hours and tests that the internal battery of the fittings lasts as intended by the manufacturer, batteries may require changing if they fail to last. a certificate should be provided following each test. 

What our clients say... 

"Excellent Service And Quality. Highly recommend First Light For Commercial And Domestic Works." 
Brett Westwood 

What our clients say... 

"First class service. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend." 
Ali Higgs 

What our clients say... 

"Used these guys at home and for the business and wouldn't go anywhere else." 
Kevin Gibson 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings